Teen Gunman Who Killed 2 at High School in California, Dies in Hospital

Several Injured In School Shooting In Santa Clarita, California

The teenage gunman who opened fire at his school in Santa Clarita, California on Thursday, and shot five students, before turning the gun on himself, succumbed to his wounds at the hospital Friday afternoon, officials said.

Nathaniel Tennosuke Berhow, 16, died Friday afternoon with his mother by his side, according to the sheriff's department.

The shooting on Thursday was carried out by Berhow on his 16th birthday, sheriff authorities say. Security footage of the incident showed Berhow walking into the campus quad, reaching into his backpack, retrieve a semiautomatic .45 caliber pistol and opened fire, shooting at five people before saving the last bullet for himself.

The entire shooting took 16 seconds and appeared to be completely random, Sheriff's Capt. Kent Wegner said Friday. The suspect did not appear to have any interaction with anyone prior to opening fire. The 16-year-old student had been standing by himself, then walked to the center of the quad before opening fire at anyone in his vicinity, the sheriff said.

"No motive or rationale has yet been established for the subject's assault,'' Wegner said.

The coroner's office identified the victims on Friday as Gracie Anne Muehlberger, 15, and Dominic Blackwell, 14.

"Our vivacious, funny, loyal, light of our lives, Cinderella, the daughter we always dreamed to have, fiercely strong and lover of all things fashionable -- was our best friend,'' Muehlberger's parents wrote in a statement on a GoFundMe page established on behalf of the family. "She is going to be missed more than words will ever be able to express.

"We deeply appreciate the outpouring of love and support from family, friends, colleagues, our church and the whole Santa Clarita and national communities. We are grieving and navigating this pain moment by moment. ... We will love you always Sweetpea!''

Two other students wounded in the shooting were taken to local hospitals. A 14-year-old boy was treated and released on Thursday at Henry Mayo Hospital in Valencia. Two other girls, ages 14 and 15, remained hospitalized as they recover from their wounds. Doctors say the 14-year-old girl was shot in a shoulder and abdomen and was "doing well." The 15-year-old suffered a gunshot wound that entered below her belly button and lodged in her left hip. Doctors performed surgery and were able to remove the bullet, officials said.

California Governor Gavin Newsom visiting the injured students at Providence Holy Cross Medical Center on Thursday, saying the students were "amazing."

"A remarkable experience, being with 14, 15-year-old survivors, that are consoling you, not the other way around,'' Newsom told Fox11. "They had this remarkable resilience, smiles on their face, one just coming out of surgery, the other one with two gunshot wounds and just remarkably blessed that they are alive, their families with them.''

Photo: Getty Images

Keep Hope Alive

Keep Hope Alive

Want to know more about Keep Hope Alive? Get their official bio, social pages & articles on Keep Hope Alive Radio! Read more

title

Content Goes Here